lundi 16 septembre 2013

Why Unschooling is the Best Incubator for Young Entrepreneurs




I’m encouraging all six of my kids to become entrepreneurs when they grow up — heck, I’m urging them to start now, as teen-agers.

Why? Because I think it’s the most empowering, passionate, kick-ass way to live your life as an adult.

And I think unschooling is the best way to give them the foundations of what they need to be entrepreneurs.

Don’t get me wrong: you can be an awesome entrepreneur even if you go to school. Lots of us have done it. But I think unschooling has some advantages, if you do it right.

Why?
  1. You learn to deal with uncertainty.
  2. You become your own authority.
  3. You learn how to learn anything, and that learning is fun.
  4. You do experiments, and see the results.
  5. Your creativity is encouraged, not stifled.
  6. You decide what to learn based on what you’re passionate about.

Those are all key skills for an entrepreneur. Imagine if you grew up practicing those skills!

Now, not everyone has the same experience at school, and you can learn a lot of these things in school too. But my experience wasn’t a great one, when I was in school. I got bored with learning, didn’t like learning what other people thought I should learn, didn’t like doing what someone else told me, but also learned that it was too scary to do something on my own and I should follow the crowd. That’s the worst thing you can learn if you want to eventually start your own business.

I had to unlearn all of that, as an adult. I didn’t do that until I was in my 30s.

I’m kinda jealous of my kids, actually!

Kids in today’s school system are not being prepared well for tomorrow’s world. 9 Skills That Every Kid Should Learn

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire